Sep 26, 2022
Around 1 out of 5 women in their 20’s, have had a tubal ligation to avoid pregnancy. If you also had done it earlier and are now thinking of restoring your fertility then tubal reversal is the best option. But wait, is it safe? What will be the possibility of getting pregnant after the surgery? Will it have any side effects or repercussions?
Of course, you can get answers to these questions from any infertility clinic in India, but here we are giving you a quick overview. You will get all the information you need, by giving this article a read. Let’s begin with what is fallopian tube reversal.
The fallopian tube is the egg's pathway to travel from the ovaries to the uterus. Tubal Ligation is the process by which the fallopian tube was either cut, tied or blocked. It is commonly done for preventing pregnancy.
In the reversal surgery, also known as Tubal Reanastomosis, the previously cut tube are reconnected using a Laparoscopic Surgical procedure. It is done either to restore fertility or to treat post-tubal ligation syndrome. Post-tubal ligation syndrome is the condition a woman suffers after tubal ligation surgery.
After the tubal reversal surgery, the woman can naturally have a baby or through recommended assisted reproductive technique. First we will see wheather or not you are fit for the surgery.
Certain factors need to be considered first before opting for this procedure. It includes:-
1. Age- For it to be completely effective, your age must be less than 40 years. Even if you are more than 40, you can go for it. However, after 40 the success rate is low.
2. Previous tubal ligation type- In the tubal ligation, if your fimbriae, i.e., the fallopian tube ends were cut, a doctor will not recommend reversal. The doctor will know this through the records of your previous surgery.
3. The length of the fallopian tube is undamaged- For it to be successful, a lot of healthy fallopian tubes must be left.
4. Body Mass Index- BMI of less than 32 is ideal for the surgery. If you are overweight or obese the success rate of the reversal decreases.
5. Overall fertility health- Your ovaries, and uterus must be healthy. You must not have endometriosis or be at high risk for its development.
All these factors are considered before proceeding with the surgery. Now if there is no obstacle, then let us see how the process takes place step by step.
Your doctor will say whether you are fit or not for the procedure if you meet all the factors discussed above. Post which you need to do a couple of blood tests and physical exams.
Laparoscopic surgery is done. The doctor will give you general anaesthesia before the surgery. The duration of the surgery will be around 4 hours. A small incision is made in your abdomen and removes any blocked parts of the fallopian tube. Absorbable stitches are then made to reconnect the tubes.
The surgery is done with minimal invasion. If there are no complications you will be allowed to go home the very same day of surgery. While the recovery time is different for everyone and will depend on your overall health and normal level of physical activity. Let us see what will be the benefits after the surgery.
The first and foremost benefit will be that you will be able to conceive naturally. The other benefits are:-
• It is quick as compared to other ART procedures. All the other ART requires multiple visits. The recovery also is quick in this.
• It has a long-lasting effect. After the surgery, the woman can conceive as many times as possible.
• It is comparatively affordable.
• After tubal ligation, women face some unwanted symptoms. The reversal helps in ending those by restoring fertility.
These are the benefits. However, you also need to know the other side of the coin to make an informed decision. Look at the risks that were involved in it before proceeding with the surgery.
The typical risk that comes with surgery is always there. It includes bleeding, infection and damage to other surrounding organs or tissues. There can be a reaction to the anaesthesia as well. The other fertility-specific risks include:-
• Increases the risk of ectopic pregnancy- The biggest risk is that it increases the chances of ectopic pregnancy. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilization and growth of the embryo take place outside the womb.
• Risks for Patients over 40 years- The risk of not being able to connect the tubes has been seen in some patients who are over 40. Scar tissues make it difficult to access the tubes. There is a risk of one or both of the tubes re-closing due to scars around the tube.
• Miscarriage- After the reconnection, the fallopian tube becomes significantly shorter which will increase the risk of miscarriage. The reason being the egg will travel through the tube faster. Even if it is successful there are chances that the infant will be stillborn.
• Endometriosis- Did you have endometriosis before the surgery or are you at a higher risk of developing it? The tubal reversal does not lower the risk. You can develop it even after the surgery.
For all these reasons, contact the best IVF centre in India, which can give you the right advice. The doctors will determine whether the risks outweigh the benefits. Even if you proceed with your surgery, the doctor will advise on how you can get pregnant without complications.
The fallopian tube is the place where fertilization happens. In tubal ligation, your tubes were either cut or tied. This keeps the sperm and egg from meeting and prevents pregnancy.
It significantly increases your chances of getting pregnant. The fallopian tubes are now healthier. Also, the eggs can now travel from the ovaries to the uterus without any obstruction.
The success rate of Tube Reversal
Nonetheless, the success of conceiving will depend on your age, overall health, the health of your reproductive organs, and more. The chances of you conceiving naturally range between 40% to 80%.
In this, the surgeon's skills and knowledge play a vital role. One must be an expert in this procedure for it to be successful. You should go for a doctor who is highly experienced and skilled to reverse the fallopian tube.
What are your other options, if not tubal reversal?
You are over the age of 40 or have other fertility issues. You might not be recommended to undergo tube reversal surgery. Then what? What are the other options available to you? You can go for these options even after the surgery.
If your uterus and ovaries are fine, you can easily opt for In-Vitro fertilisation (IVF). In IVF, eggs from your ovaries are taken and sperm from your partner. It is then fertilized in the lab. The embryo that is formed is then placed in the uterus of the woman.
The other option is intrauterine insemination (IUI). In this, the sperms are placed in the uterus of the woman, preferably near the fallopian tube. This increases the chances of fertilization.
How can Angel health help you?
Angel health has the best doctors on its panel. The doctors are highly skilled and experienced. They will give you the right advice according to your needs. Angel health gives the best IVF treatment in India, with complete assistance. You need not worry about anything. For any other queries related to fallopian tubal reversal and infertility, write it in the message box given below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much fallopian tube is needed for the reversal?
Typically the fallopian tube is 8 inches long. Women who have a minimum of 4 inches of the healthy tube after re-joining have the highest chances of conceiving.
How long does it take for fallopian tubes to heal after reversal?
It takes approximately 2 weeks for the fallopian tube to heal. The overall recovery depends on the amount of physical activity you do. Post-surgery, you can go home the very same day as the surgery is minimally invasive.
Is it hard to get pregnant after tubal reversal?
The success rate of conceiving naturally after reversal is 70% for women under the age of 35. While only 30% for those in their early 40s. Opting for ART like IVF or IUI increases the chances of getting pregnant.
How long did it take to get pregnant after tubal reversal?
Generally, if your overall health is good, you will get healed within a month. You can then start trying. You can get pregnant within a month if everything is well. In most cases, the woman gets pregnant within one year of the reversal surgery.