Sep 20, 2022
In your last fertility test, you came to know that you have an ovarian cyst. You now have tons of questions about what it is, how you can cure it, and whether it will affect your fertility. You need not worry. You have come to the right place. This blog answers every potential question you might have related to ovarian cysts and infertility.
After reading these symptoms and treatments you may think of Assisted Reproductive Techniques. It can either be IVF, IUI or even surrogacy. You will let you know which is the best IVF centre in India according to your needs. Which IVF centre will guide you and assist you in the best possible way? Let’s start by understanding what this cyst is.
Ovaries are part of the female reproductive system. Eggs and hormones like estrogen and progesterone are produced in the ovaries. Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs or pockets formed on the surface of the ovaries. It happens to all women during the menstrual cycle. You don’t have to worry if there are no symptoms. However, it is better to visit a doctor for regular checkups. There are chances that it may cause fertility issues.
When does it become a concern?
There are chances that these may cause complications when it gets twisted or gets ruptured. The severity of complications may depend on their type as well. It is better to schedule regular pelvic exams and discuss with your doctor any discomfort you face. Some factors can increase the chances of complications. It is always good to know about the risk factors and take precautions.
What are the risk factors?
If you have ovaries then you can develop an ovarian cyst. However, the chances of it causing complications increases with the following risk factors: -
• Age- Most women before menopause has a high chance of developing the cyst.
• Thyroid- Underactive thyroid can increase the chances of getting these growths.
• Hormonal Problems- If you are taking any medication for treating infertility, functional cysts can develop in the ovaries.
• Pregnancy- Hormonal changes, in general, can result in these growths. During pregnancy, the female body goes through a lot of hormonal changes.
• Endometriosis- In endometriosis, the endometrial layer that in the usual case forms inside the uterus is formed outside. Ovarian cysts are developed and these endometrial tissues get attached to the ovary and grow.
These are some of the reasons that increase the chances of growth. These can cause complications as well, especially infertility.
What are the signs and symptoms that you must not ignore?
If you have more than one of these eight symptoms, then don’t cause any delay and consult a health professional.
• Sudden sharp pains in the abdominal or pelvic region
• Vomiting and nausea
• Unexpected bleeding
• Urination and stool differences
• Pain during intercourse
• Faintness or dizziness
• Rapid Breathing
These symptoms can reflect either of the three; an infected or ruptured cyst or an ovarian torsion. Consult your doctor if you have these symptoms. They give the best diagnosis and appropriate guidance on its complications. You will also get to know the treatment required to cure infertility.
How it is diagnosed?
Doctors first will try to identify physically the presence of any growth on the ovaries. These are some of the tests and ways by which it can be diagnosed.
• Pelvic examination
• CT Scan
• CA-125 blood test
• Other blood tests
The doctor will explain which of the methods is necessary for diagnosis. It can be either one or more methods. They will not recommend an immediate treatment plan unless the growth is large or obstructs the surrounding organs.
What are the treatments for ovarian Cysts?
Generally, there is no treatment needed for this. It mostly goes away on its own. As per OASH research, only 8% of the patients require treatment. For that reason, the first suggestion by the doctor is to wait and see.
The main treatment is required when it grows larger or does not go away on its own. Depending on the severity medication or surgery is suggested. The size, location, age and other health factors are seen before prescribing a treatment plan.
• Birth Control Pills- In case of recurrent formation, a birth control pill is prescribed. This stops ovulation and prevents the development of new cysts.
• Laparoscopic procedures -A tiny incision is made near the naval to remove the growth. It is also used to view if it has infected or obstructed any other organ.
• Laparotomic procedures- It is the best treatment for larger cysts. In this, a larger incision is made as compared to laparoscopy to remove it.
Do ovarian cysts cause infertility?
Mostly it does not pose a threat to fertility. In most cases, it disappears on its own within weeks or months. Only in rare cases, it can cause complications. This could also interfere with women’s fertility.
Ovarian cysts with other more serious illnesses can cause fertility challenges. These underlying fertility illnesses can be: -
• Endometriosis- Endometriosis is one of the risk factors for its growth. It is closely tied to infertility. The chances of getting pregnant with endometriosis decrease to 2-4%. It either reduces the reserve of the ovum or causes obstruction in the reproductive path.
• PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)- PCOS is caused by hormonal imbalances. This is also one of the risk factors for developing ovarian cysts. The hormonal imbalance caused due to PCOS negatively affects the chances of conceiving. The reason is that the eggs produced by the ovaries do not get mature enough to prompt ovulation.
Apart from these two, the treatment of ovarian cysts can cause infertility. Even though birth control pills do not have a lasting effect, nonetheless they will reduce the egg count. In cases of surgery, any scar or incision can affect fertility.
What is the solution for ovarian cysts and infertility?
• Fertility Drugs- The growth can disrupt the development of eggs. Some drugs help in stimulating ovulation. Some of them are- Clomiphene, Letrozole, Gonadotropins and Bromocriptine. Do not take any of these medications without a doctor’s prescription.
• Egg freezing- As we know that in general situations the cyst does not cause infertility. However, if your doctor suggests that there are chances that in future you might face complications, then freezing eggs is a good option. Especially for women with both ovarian cysts and endometriosis.
• In-vitro Fertilization (IVF)- The cysts have grown so large that it is obstructing the fallopian tube. In such a case, IVF is the best option. In this, the eggs and sperm of both parents are taken and fertilized in a lab. The embryo is then placed in the uterus of the mother.
How “Angel Health” can help you to deal with ovarian cysts and infertility?
“Angel Health” is the best fertility clinic in India. It has the best and most expert doctors. We are here to provide any kind of assistance you need. Our panel of gynaecologists give proper guidance according to your needs. We have many success stories of cured infertility caused by ovarian cysts.
We give all solutions for infertility. We conduct egg, sperm and embryo freezing, IVF and IUI treatment. IVF procedure in “Angel health” has a success rate of 70-75%. The best IVF treatment in India is given by us. If you have any more queries please write them in the message box below.